Friday, August 16, 2019

What Are You Waiting For? Get Outdoors to Improve Your Mental Health!


Herons on the Water by Ali Nicole


The fresh air, the soothing breeze, the vibrant colors and deep textures, all buzzing with life. That’s what I enjoyed over a long weekend as I made my way outdoors to explore local nature trails for healing and tranquility. I want to share with you the benefits to mental health I found there.

If you follow this blog on Instagram, you might have seen this article coming as I’ve posted multiple pictures from my walks already. Indeed, I found it so inspiring and beautiful I had to share it with you! I feel it’s also worth exploring the mental health benefits of being outside in nature.

The Mental Health Benefits I Found In Nature Walks


Joy – The biggest benefit that stands out is the joy I got from my time outside. It’s difficult not to smile and revel in the art in nature. I saw brilliantly colored wildflowers, expansive spider webs wet with dew, and wildlife at peace in safe habitats. Joy is temporary because it is an emotion but it is something you can seek out in experiences such as this!


Relaxation and stress reduction – There is no hurry out on the trails. While you can benefit from the physical activity, that’s not the primary objective. It can be, but you can also just allow nature to be a place to breathe like I did. Take your time meandering and devouring the sites.


Self-esteem boost – This was unexpected, but I felt like a priestess of the Earth as I connected with nature. Although I was in my yoga getup and sneakers, I look back envisioning myself as the gothic goddess at my core spirit. Try going out on a beautiful, lush nature trail and not feel like the lady of the lake. I don’t believe it can be done.


Clear mind – The ability to feel present and aware in the moment has never been stronger than in the moments I’m exploring wooded trails. In fact, the experience is perfect for practicing mindfulness because it’s so simple to put your mind solely on the beauty in front of you. Where I go, there tends to be a lot of tree roots protruding from the ground, so I had to be extra aware so as not to fall!


Companionship – You can choose to go with others or on your own (safety precautions taken, of course), but from my experience I enjoying the trails most with others. Sharing the experience reduces feelings of isolation and gives an extra set of eyes and point of view. What you miss, a companion can highlight for you.



If you’ve read the rest of the blog, you know I had to do some research to see if there was empirical support for what I was experiencing.




I found a bevy of information from an article on the MentalHealth Benefits of the Outdoors. Reduced stress and increased joy are major benefits, just as I felt. Better concentration and attention are also indicated, which I consider parts of a clear mind.  Additionally, according to a 2005 study, mixing the outdoors with exercise has been shown to boost self-esteem as well when the setting is eye-pleasing. You may already know from my previous article on exercise, that physical activity can reduce loneliness because it tends puts you in contact with other—moving outdoors fits into this as well.



What benefits can you find in the outdoors? Embrace your inner weirdo and step into the skin of the Earthen god or goddess you’ve always wanted to be. Find your own mental health benefits exploring outside.
 



Works Cited

“Exercise and Mental Health.” Healthdirect, www.healthdirect.gov.au/exercise-and-mental-health.

McMichael, Sarah. “Mental Health Benefits of Spending Time in Nature.” Ontario Parks, 23 Apr. 2019, www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/mental-health-benefits-outdoors/.

Pretty, J, et al. “The Mental and Physical Health Outcomes of Green Exercise.” International Journal of Environmental Health Research, vol. 15, no. 5, Oct. 2005, pp. 319–337. The National Center for Biotechnology Information, doi:10.1080/09603120500155963.



Share To Facebook

Share To Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts! Your feedback is welcome and valuable.